Composed and shared by Ceduna Old Photos, Sue Trewartha, and Erica Bodger.
WCS. 7 December 1955. Ceduna. About 60 men and women members of the Murat Bay and District Bowling Club played their first game of bowls on the new rinks at Ceduna last Saturday afternoon. The large crowd present indicated just how great a social asset the new green will be in the community. The president Mr. R J Betts welcomed all present then selected mixed rinks of eight players, with those who knew perhaps a little more than the rest, as leaders. After the extreme heat of the morning and the past few days the delightful green lawn and the cool breeze which came, could not have been more refreshing or inspiring. The large fountains of icy cool drinks and the shady awnings provided the last touches to a veritable paradise. Tuition and advice were willingly given by Mr. and Mrs. McFarlane, of Cobdogla Bowling Club who are on a caravan holiday at Ceduna. Mr. and Mrs. McFarlane s assistance was much appreciated and a vote of thanks was proposed to them by Mr. P S Morrison at the close of the afternoon. Not only did the players themselves enjoy the afternoon, but the large crowd of spectators watching over the fence appeared to be well entertained. Future play will be on Wednesday and Saturday afternoons. The cement brick clubhouse in the course of construction promises to be the most comfortable and suitable building. The volunteer workers who have toiled hard in the establishment of the greens and the whole setup deserve the congratulations and the thanks of all the community. The club is a fine asset to the town. It is hoped to hold the official opening early in the new year.
WCS. 11 Dec 1957. Ceduna. The lights of the Murat Bay and District Bowling Club were officially turned on at a largely attended ceremony last Wednesday night. The president, Mr. PS Morrison, who outlined the bowls project from its beginning, congratulated the contractor, Mr. S G Branch, on the excellent job he had done in installing the lights. Mr. R J Betts, the past president, then switched on the lights and declared open the night bowling season. Mr. J B Karutz, president of the Streaky Bay Bowling Club was invited to roll the first bowl. Mixed fours were then played, the winners being Mesdames ET Mewett and K Puckridge, and WE Nicholls and WD McBeath. Trophies for the evening were donated by Messrs Morrison and Wilf Bubner. There was a large turnout of members for the evening and conditions for the play was ideal. Many spectators watched the brilliant scene from outside the rink perimeter fence.
WCS. 10 December 1958. Ceduna. There was a good attendance at the bowling green for the opening of the new kitchen. The president, Mr. WC Bubner welcomed all present and thanked all those who had worked so hard to build the kitchen and have it ready for this season. The building would be a great asset, would lighten the women s work considerably, and would add more space. He then called on Mrs. C H Kuhlmann, president of the women s club, to declare the kitchen open. Mrs. Kuhlmann thanked the men for their consideration in building the kitchen and felt honoured to be asked to perform the ceremony. She was then presented with a silver sugar basin embossed with the club s badge as a memento … the evening opened with a spider competition won by Mrs. WC Bubner, mixed foursomes followed. Unknown to the players the tournament committee had decided to give the first prizes to the team with the lowest score and the booby prizes to the one with the highest. Winners were Miss I Hasting, Mrs. M Bubner, Bill and Art Nicholls, first, and Mrs. K Lowe, Mrs. C Reincke, Gordon Jukes and Harold Chapman, booby …