Composed and shared by Ceduna Old Photos, Sue Trewartha and Erica Bodger.
We are about to put up some stories and photos of the BCA, the Bush Church Aid Society. It is not possible to do this without a huge mention of the Anglican Church which started not only sending ministers to our district, but also a Medical service and later, Flying Medical Service here. Many of these photos are from the National Trust Museum at Ceduna, a great place to have a look when you have some time and from Mac Job, Flying Medical Service pilot in the 1950s and from a collection at St Michael s Anglican Church at Ceduna and their history book produced in 2009, called œDedication and Determination , this book is still available at the Op Shop run by this church, a great read, lots of photos and history included. We say a huge thank you for these places and people for sharing precious photos of our heritage.
Bush Church Aid.The Bush Church Aid Society is credited for not only providing ministers to the area in the early days, but for also creating a medical service for this district. A new chapter in the history of the Far West Mission for the Anglican Church was opened when the Bush Church Aid Society of Australia and Tasmania, started in 1919, took over the work of providing ministers to this district. A small group of 26 people had met in Sydney and from that gathering the Bush Church Aid Society came into being.
The Rev SJ Kirkby, later Bishop,at the original hospital in Ceduna, present day Airport Caravan Park offices.
The Rev SJ Kirkby, later Bishop, was appointed Organising Missioner and work began on the first day of 1920. The first concern of the Society was to send clergy to minister to people in spiritual matters and the BCA felt the people of Ceduna were in need of a priest. A Priest in Charge was installed and in later a Curate, (an assistant priest), who travelled as far as the Western Australian border, out to the E/W Railway Line and across to Pt Augusta.
Rev F Dillon, travelling the Nullarbor, 1927.